NOTE: Do NOT install the ports tree during the installation. We’re going to install the latest ports tree (complete with security updates) later on.
*** Step 1: Install FBSD 6.3 or 7.0
1. Insert the CD
2. Choose the standard install
3. When the installation is finished, you’re done!
*** Step 2: Installing the Nvidia Drivers
NOTE: The open source ‘nv’ driver doesn’t work on the GeForce 8 series of cards, so don’t even bother trying.
1. Type the command ‘sysconfig’ and install the ‘compat5x’ package via FTP. This is a pre-requisite for the nvidia driver package.
2. Download the FreeBSD x86 drivers from www.nvidia.com for the GeForce 8 series.
3. Untar, cd to the resulting directory and type the command ‘make install’
4. Type the command ‘nvidia-xconfig.’ You’ll get some errors about Gnome libraries not being installed, but it still manages to create a good xorg.conf anyway.
5. Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the following:
In Section “Input Device:”
Change Option “Device” “/dev/sysmouse” to “/dev/psm0”
Change Option “Emulate3Buttons” “no” to “yes”
6. Test the xorg server by typing ‘startx’ and verify that you get a working display
7. Close xorg and pat yourself on the back for a job well done 😉
*** Step 3: Install the Ports Tree
1. Go to ftp.freebsd.org and download the latest 6.3 or 7.0 ports.tgz file (under /pub/releases/6.3 or /pub/releases/7.0 I believe, but I can’t remember exactly.)
2. Cd to /usr and extract ports.tgz
*** Step 4: Configuring the Soundcard
1. Edit the file /boot/loader.conf and add the line “snd_hda_load=”YES”
2. Reboot and grep dmesg for Realtek. If it shows up, try to play an MP3 to make sure sound is really working.
*** Step 5: Wireless Configuration
We no longer need to do anything. As of FreeBSD 7.0, the wpi driver works by default! Wireless will not work,
however, under 6.3
admin March 31st, 2008
Posted In: Uncategorized
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Thanks for sharing! The IFL90 has been getting better support by BSD and Linux lately.